Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Periacetabular Osteotomy

I originally didn't intend to journal this, but I've realized that I have forgotten bits and pieces along the way, so I'm going to recompile everything from various emails and communications, and attempt to date them appropriately. Partly for other potential PAO candidates' information, and partly for my own archive, since it is likely I will need to go through this again.

How did this all start? I first realized there was a problem in late 1999, when I began having persistent bilateral hip pain, and went to an orthopedic doctor in AL, back home. After xrays, exams, and being sent to a pediatric orthopedic specialist in Huntsville, the diagnosis was bilateral dysplasia, and I was advised not to engage in high impact activities, and take ibuprofen when needed. I was told my option is a hip replacement when the joint wore down and became unbearable. That is all I knew for a long time.

Fast forward to 2008. The pain had come and gone through the years, but was more persistent and increasing lately. Now in Pittsburgh, the sheer volume of doctors in the area was overwhelming, and I had no idea how or where to choose someone to go to. What was the point, anyway, I didn't want a hip replacement yet, right?

After years of persistent sinus infections (chronic sinusitis) (trust me, this is related), I happened upon a wonderfully terrific ENT specialist, and had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction. Endoscopic sinus surgery, where he cut a bone spur off the left side of my septum, and reduced the turbinates, giving my sinuses more room to drain. Holy miracle, batman, it made an incredible difference. I continue to see him for allergy issues, and have grown to trust him quite a bit... I mean, I did allow him to dig around and cut things in my head, right?

I noticed one day that there was a large orthopedic practice in the same building as the ENT office. I asked my ENT doc, Dr. S, if he knew any of those guys, and he had a pretty good opinion of them. I decided to give it a shot, and checked out the practice online. After looking at backgrounds, specialties, etc., I purposely chose the youngest doctor in the practice (Dr. C). This was based on the fact that the ortho guys I'd seen in AL were old and miserable, and my ENT is only a couple years older than me, and the most caring healthcare provider I've been to yet. I thought maybe he just hasn't been in it long enough to become old and jaded. Anyhow, back to Dr. C - sometimes things just work out. It turns out that Dr. C and Dr. S both went to school together at Notre Dame, and had nice things to say about each other. Apparently, in my unorthodox doctor choosing method, I picked a major hip arthroscopy specialist, as well as a extremely knowledgeable hip expert.

I know from reading on hipwomen that a lot of women are misdiagnosed or not given all the options that are available. I am so lucky that I happened upon a doctor who was able to give me an option that I didn't know was available... and more importantly, was able to give me hope.

No comments: